Thursday, March 20, 2014

Think Spring -- Yarn Colors & Crochet Projects

At exactly 12:57pm, the winter season will be over and it will be time to think spring! I have to tell you, since I arrived in Chicago two months ago to visit my family, I've been clinging to the knowledge that spring would eventually arrive. Finally, the big day has arrived. Even though it's still somewhat chilly in the Chicago area, signs of spring have been showing up, like the robins singing their songs as I take my walk.

In an effort to make myself feel more spring-like, I've been turning to some delicious, yarny colors and crochet projects that scream "Spring" (and summer) to me.

A lovely yarn selection for an upcoming giant granny afghan with Cath Kidston-inspired colors.
A basket full of yarn for an upcoming Cath Kidston-inspired afghan.
Fun colors that say "spring" and "summer"!
Four skeins that remind me of Scooby Doo's Magic Machine. Designated for a summer afghan.

Cotton yarn is perfect for springtime projects such as baby bonnets and spa cloths.
Cotton yarn for springtime baby bonnets...
 Cotton yarn is perfect for springtime projects such as baby bonnets and spa cloths.
and spa cloths
While happily dreaming about springtime while choosing all the above yarny delights, I've also been working on my first official springtime project -- my Lazy Daze Poncho, which is an upcoming pattern and original Go Crochet Crazy design!

When I work on a new design, I like it to be perfect because I know other crocheters are putting their trust in me when they follow my patterns. From the first stitch to the last, I've loved the yarn I'm working with and the design I've come up with. With great anticipation and excitement, I finished my poncho this past Monday, only to discover that it was about 2 feet too long. And not in the way that could be helped by unraveling a few rows. I had to unravel the entire thing. But I believe if you're going to do something, do it right! Especially when other crocheters will use the pattern. So, after going back to the drawing board with my design measurements, I'm now more than halfway done with my poncho-in-progress.

Go Crochet Crazy Lazy Daze Poncho in Progress
Five skeins -- crocheted, unraveled, rolled up and reworked again.
Do you have any spring-theme projects coming up or ones that you're working on now? How about some deliciously spring-colored yarns you're anxious to use? Let me know in the comments what you're working on and be sure to come back tomorrow through Sunday for the Spring Fling Link-a-Long where I'll invite anyone with spring-themed blog posts from the categories of crochet, crafts, home & gardening, DIY, cooking and decor to join the party. I can't wait to hear about and see all the spring things you're working on! Yay for springtime!!

16 comments:

  1. A great idea to get yourself in the mood for Spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I needed it when I awoke to snow flurries this morning!

      Delete
  2. Oh Mary, I'm sorry you had to rip out your poncho... I know the feeling, because I too am a perfectionist when it comes to that. My projects lined up are a lightweight sleeveless summer sweater, a doily and table runner, and some petite flower earrings made with crochet cotton yarn like the hearts I did for Valentine's Day. All will be in pretty spring and summer colors.... I'm excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got some exciting spring projects lined up, Monica! I can't wait to see them. :)

      Delete
  3. Spring was in Belgium Yesterday but autumn arrived this night for some days... difficult to choose spring-summer pattern... will they be used or is it preferably to choose autumn-winter ones? I choose a blanket for Lucy, and a vest for Louis and some flower brooh for hte next months.
    Sincerely Sorry for your Poncho... It always difficult to rip out anything we passed hours to do. But perfectionism is perfectionism. I rip out the begining of a fine cotton flower four times Yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivier, in the end, it was worth it to rip out the poncho. It looks beautiful the second time around. I can't wait to show you guys!

      Delete
  4. I was just wondering, seeing your sugar n cream yarn, do you know if it's colourfast??
    I managed to get hold of some Peaches and and creme before they finished and I loved it, loved the colours but was so disappointed when the colours came out of the cloths I had made.

    Anyhow, I'm looking forward to seeing all your lovely creations. It's a shame about the poncho but you would never have been happy with it if you hadn't ripped it back.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I've heard that the Peaches n Cream yarn isn't colorfast, however Sugar n Cream is. I've had no problems with it. And the poncho turned out beautifully the second time around! :)

      Delete
  5. Very ambitious project! I know you will enjoy it when it is done! Thanks for linking up at The Four Seasons Blog Hop! Sandra from Scrumptilicious 4 You! We would love to have you come back next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I will be back! Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you here more often!

      Delete
  6. I love your choice in yarn colours for spring - I am busy making a spring wreath and I am really loving the fresh colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorna, I've not yet made a crochet wreath, but the ones I've seen are so pretty! Enjoy your spring projects. :)

      Delete
  7. I love all things Cath Kidston. My purse is the train designs one that was out last Summer (I think!) I have a dotty handbag and a flowery handbag too. I did want a changing bag for the Summer but they cost a small fortune even in the sale :( Those colours are sooo pretty. I've put a ban on myself buying any more yarn unless I know exactly what I'm using it for. It can just be purchased for the sake of it kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hannah, I know all about buying yarn just for the sake of having it! After bringing home 25 skeins in my suitcase, I had to restrain myself the next day when I saw the prettiest pale ice blue skein of yarn. I'm still regretting not buying it because I don't have the color. Maybe it will be there the next time I go. o_0

      Delete
  8. I'm so jealous..I wish it was nice and cold here. Summer days are still dragging on here in Oz!

    Thanks for sharing your post at the Say G'Day Saturday link up. Hope you can join us again this weekend.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete