Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Crochet Crazy Life on the Other Side of the Atlantic Ocean

Springtime was waiting for me when I arrived in Germany yesterday. After 3 1/2 years here, I'm familiar with the earlier arrival of spring, which comes about two months before its arrival in the Chicago area. The warmer temperatures, the green grass, spring flowers and flowering trees were an especially welcome sight after the cold, harsh winter I experienced in Chicago this year (more about that in this blog post).

Even though I don't sleep on the long flight over (I'm just not one of those people who can fall asleep in moving vehicles), I always make myself stay awake the entire day for a faster recovery from jet lag and a quicker adjustment to the seven-hour time difference. To keep myself busy yesterday, I went out to say hello to my favorite, familiar country walking path.

Narcissus and daffodils are blooming everywhere.

Front yard gardens made me smile with their colorful displays.

This poplar tree-lined path is a favorite, peaceful walking place.
The path around the old abbey is pretty no matter what the season.

The birds were singing in the cherry tree and forsythia in bloom across the creek.

Freshly tilled fields mean the farmers will soon be planting.
I wasn't the only one enjoying the fresh spring air.

Apple blossoms in bloom...what's not to love about that?
Even with a long trip from Chicago to the Rhine area of Germany, I still made time for crochet. Even if it's only for five minutes, I need to have a hook in my hand and work with yarn. Crochet is something I enjoy, but it's also part of who I am. Last night I finished a project I began last week in Chicago and also worked on in-flight -- a cotton infinity scarf for my daughter, S.



Variegated White, Black and Gray Cotton Infinity Scarf by Go Crochet Crazy
And I finally began my much-anticipated Cath Kidston inspired Giant Granny Rectangle Afghan! I've been drooling over the yarn I purchased and am delighted to show you the beginnings of the project.

Finally working with these skeins...
The first rounds of a Cath Kidston Inpsired Giant Granny Rectangle Afghan by Mary at Go Crochet Crazy.
....ta-dah! The beginning of my afghan!
I've been here for about 30 hours (10 of which were spent sleeping) and now you can see what I've been up to....besides spending time with M, of course! What have you been doing the past couple days? Are there any signs of spring where you're at?

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm, are there signs of spring? We'll have high winds (gusts up to 50 mph) and, according to the weathercast, rain and possible hail. I believe the wind. On the rain and hail, I've lived here too long to fall for that one. When I see odd wet stuff falling from those odd, puffy cotton-looking things blocking the sky and sun, I'll believe it. ;) :P

    I have been putting a couple hours in every evening, working on the blankie for my son and daughter-in-law, J and M. Mary, I'll confess, I switched from a single crochet stitch to a half-double crochet for two reasons First, that blankie is stiff! I'll suggest that put that end at their feet. Second, with taller stitches, it's growing faster.

    Which means I can start the next project(s) on my agenda: A sweater for me and infinity scarves for my mom, sisters and three nieces. :O I'm going to buy your book, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a SC blanket could take a lifetime to crochet! Your upcoming projects sound great. Infinity scarves go fast, so they make a nice follow-up project after a blanket.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your pictures from Germany. There are times I really miss it, so I can live vicariously through others, lol. Glad you had a safe journey and have already rested up.
    Your granny is going to be beautiful and am looking forward to seeing it grow.
    Until soon wishing you a wonderful day,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What part of Germany are you from, Erika? I wish we had a good yarn store in the Dusseldorf area. So far, I've not found anything that impresses or thrills me.

      Delete
  3. Oh Mary, it is GORGEOUS where you are! I'm so envious! I woke up to 11 degrees yesterday morning and we are getting snow showers today in Pennsylvania! Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures :) And I am LOVING your color choice for your new afghan.... Can't wait to see the finished product! I'm halfway through my doily and sugar n cream washcloth, but my beads are screaming at me to create with them too. Never enough hours....*sigh* <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, I can't wait to see your doily! That's something I haven't made....they look like a lot of work!

      Delete
  4. Hmm, spring ... I vaguely remember that, haha.
    Here we have such a mixture still, sun one day, wind and rain the next ... snow up on the mountains still.
    I'm not convinced spring has sprung here yet.

    Love your colour scheme on the afghan. it looks so pretty together.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you live, Kim? I love the mountains and spend a good portion of the summer working as a tour director in the Alps and Dolomites. Although I would imagine the winters are much longer, and I know I wouldn't like that!

      Delete
    2. I live in the UK Mary, Cumbria to be precise, near the lake district, hence me mentioning the mountains but I actually live right on the coast by the sea.
      I'm originally from London, but moved here when I got married.

      :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Mary wow I love the scarf and the granny rectangle afghan is going to be gorgeous! Have fun on your vacation in Germany.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete